Wednesday 10 June 2015

An update from the road

It's has been an interesting past few weeks, and there has been so much seen and done and eaten and drunk.
I have met English, Australian, German, Swiss people on the road, and have enjoyed each meeting as they have come with the added value of helping each other at times.

First was the German, who appeared and disappeared in the same fashion - quickly and quietly. He told me not to take the 
main road to Koblenz, but instead directed me towards a quieter and more scenic route. "You will share the road with motorbikes only ". Which I did.
Maps and tea
Flowing streams, bird song and wind in trees for 25km downhill, passed only a few times by motorbikes. What a suggestion.

A few days ‎layer, as I was ascending from Lindau on Lake Konstanz to Eichenberg, I heard brass band music coming from around the corner. I stopped at the top of the climb (+-800m) and some locals explained that this was a high catholic holiday and that each town will have similar celebrations throughout the day. They then said I was having tea with them, which I did. Maps and sweets and chocolate come my way, as did their stories of their time spent in Cape Town. They sent me on my way with good wishes and a good map.

Thomas, Ali and Yoshi  -great company
This week I met 3 Germans on my way out of Nördlingen, who, like me, had spent the night in the YUTA hostel, drying out and warming up. The previous day had been crazy, lightning overhead, heavy rain and a cold wind. We got talking about Surly, and my route and why they were doing their ride.
They had 4 days off, and each year had gone cycling somewhere. I had met them on day 3 and stayed with them in a random shelter in the middle of nowhere. Beer stops every hour were required (with cigarettes). UK was nice to have company and local knowledge while riding through some pretty amazing countryside.

In Nördlingen as well, at the same hostel, I overheard some Aussies talking about their day, and where they were likely to be heading tomorrow. The guys were both wearing their green jackets, and we soon got talking about where we had been and where we were going, all the while being fed bread and cheese and cucumber.
I was heading north, they were heading south, along the same route, so we exchanged notes and set off. (I hope all goes well with the rent of the trip).

I have just parted ways with the Germans. They needed to go back home tonight, so I am now on a train to Frankfurt ‎in order to launch my assault on the Rhine tomorrow, heading up toward Köln for the weekend. 

As always, this is just a brief overview of what has been happening on the road‎, more stories will be told in the near future.

No comments :

Post a Comment