Tuesday 13 June 2017

Day 11: Revelstoke to Rogers Pass (to Golden)

It is very seldom that I have a truly bad day on the bike. Today should have been a beautiful, and easy day, but instead turned into a rather bad day.

Being a thorough person when it comes to route planning and research, I knew there was to be 'a little bit' of road going uphill today. The road out of Revelstoke is uphill and gentle, nothing too severe, and when surrounded by spectacular mountains, you hardly notice the gradient.

The road gently works it's way up a valley towards Rogers Pass, following Highway 1, passing Canyon Hot Springs and entering the Glacier National Park.

I stopped at a beautiful waterfall for lunch, where Curtis, a guy going to Vancouver Island to paddle, was also stopped. He warned me of a grizzly bear mother and cub a little further up the road. I thanked him and we parted ways.

The bears were seen about 10-15 km up the road from where I was, so I kept a beady eye out in case they were still in the area.
(Un)fortunately I didn't see them and proceeded up Rogers Pass, stopping at the top to admire the spectacular views.

From my planning, the campsite was right here, so I only had a few more k's to go before the day was over.
I hadn't really felt the climbing today, legs are feeling stronger, but my bum is still sore from the saddle. Knowing I only had a little way to go, I spent a lot longer at the top of the Pass, enjoying the sunshine and chatting to other tourists who had seen me cycle up the Pass.

Time to move, Kevin. Go and setup camp!

Rogers Pass
The assistant at the information centre told me that the Illecillewaet campsite was in fact closed, and the next available option was in Golden, 75km away!
I had already done 70km and had mentally switched off for the day, now I had to reengage and do another days riding in an afternoon!

Guns used for avalanche control
My head dropped!

Oh well, there is no point in hanging about then. I jumped on the bike after refilling all my water bottles, filled my cheeks with Clif Bar (peanut butter flavour) and sped off down the mountain.
Snow sheds, looming mountains, speeding trucks all whizzed by me as I made my way down the road.

Snow shed
I could feel that fatigue setting in. Roads that appeared to be sloping downhill weren't. If I stopped pedalling I would slow down. Why wasn't I speeding up?
Was Gravity broken or a Gravity bill not been paid?
Then a sneaky little headwind arrived and slowed me down even more. Drat!

Happy at the top
Finding a downhill that was actually going downhill, I managed to gain some momentum heading towards Donald, but that was short-lived.
I coasted into a rest area and devoured a can of peaches in syrup, they should have been for dessert tonight. Too bad, I needed the fuel.
To add to the misery, the mozzies had ascended from hell and were eating me alive! I couldn't stay still for a second, and they were biting me through my cycling gear! Vicious little guys they are!

Donald soon went by, not at a fast pace, but it went by, I was in the Golden valley and only had about 25km to go. Easy.

Brain: "You've got this Kev!"
Kevin: Shhh...

I was trying to distract myself and not think about how far I still had to go. I was frustrated and getting cranky. The false flats had me shouting at them!
Then the horizon turned black!
Not happy

Rain. Lots of it.

I got caught in a torrential rain shower 13km outside Golden and was instantly soaked and, with the accompanying head wind, was getting cold too!
I was having a nightmare on the bike; my Garmin was running out of power as fast as me, I just wanted to stop and hitch a ride into town.
At a rest area I tried to flag down a car for a ride. Nobody stopped. Nobody even slowed down!

"I am done. Why am I doing this?"

Ten minutes later, with my little tantrum over, I got back on the bike and pedalled slowly towards Golden. With each pedal stroke it got closer, and soon after 9 pm I rolled into town, soaked and cold.
I checked into the Municipal campsite and went to my allocated site to setup.

Mozzie-free dinner
It was still raining and the Mosquitoes from Hell had apparently checked into the same site as me. They were eating me alive as I frantically tried to get my tent setup, but the ground had joined the torment as well. The soil must have been made of concrete, with an extra layer of reinforcement about 5cm underneath that!
A few bent tent pegs later, the tent was up with my bags inside.

Shower time.
No hot water! Really?

I finally got to bed at midnight, cold and wet and grumpy, but fed. I had managed to outsmart the mozzies and cooked dinner at the Reception building, mozzie free...

Tomorrow will be a rest day. My body insisted, I didn't argue.

Distance: 144 km (Garmin went flat, probably a 150 km day)
Time: 7:48:44

Height gained/lost: 1799m /-1536m
Calories: 4891

The Storm

2 comments :

  1. That sounds like the day from hell. I'm glad you survived it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin - You're my hero! Well Done for surviving that awful day. What an adventure and how well you told it. Just re-read it to Earl and he is in huge admiration.

    ReplyDelete