Thursday 15 June 2017

Day 13: Golden to Lake Louise

My fear was that today would dawn with rain like yesterday, but in fact it was dry when I emerged from the tent. And cold.

Golden
Today would be mostly uphill, with a big climb right out of the gate at Golden, 16 Mile Hill, and another just after Field.

It wasn't a bad climb at all, rather a steady gradient that took me into some big mountains and alongside raging rivers.

I stopped in Field for lunch. My body still hadn't warmed up so I needed something rather substantial for lunch to keep me ticking over.
Watching the rain
I ordered an Elk burger and fries and a bowl of soup. Tasty!!

I knew the next climb would be a slow one, so I took my time warming up in the cafe. I watched a rain storm work its way up the valley, and hoped that it wouldn't come my way at any point.
I left the cafe and felt that the wind was now a rather strong tailwind, what joy! It would push me up the next lump in the road.

I wanted to go and see Takakkaw falls in Yoho National Park, but the road was closed due to an avalanche, so instead headed up towards Big Hill and the Spiral Tunnels.
The tunnels are in a figure of eight shape due to the severity of the gradient going up the pass. The current layout keeps the gradient nice and low and allows trains to make it over the mountain. Unfortunately no trains were passing through while I was there.
Old railway line

Climb, climb, climb. Would this uphill ever end?

There was a lot of road work going on, new overhead bridges being built and a new road surface going onto one of the lanes.

Up ahead, a large sign loomed into view. Welcome to Alberta.
BC, thank you SO MUCH for some good times, it's now over to AB to wow me.

The descent into Lake Louise was fast and sweeping and I cycled the entire way with a big grin on my face. Happy!!
I arrived in Lake Louise and checked into the campsite for 2 nights. The camp is enclosed in an electric fence to keep the bears out.

Dinner and a hot shower later, I was in bed, proud to be where I was.

It rained lightly all night.

Distance: 89.1 km
Time: 4:59:39

Height gained/lost: 1392m /-704m
Calories: 3354

 

Lake Louise campsite entrance


1 comment :