Sunday 18 June 2017

Day 16: Rampart Creek to Beauty Creek

I slept really well last night, it certainly is a little warmer the close to Jasper you get!

I woke with very flat and heavy legs, and had overslept as well. It was 0930 before I left the campsite. Today's destination was Jonas camp, a relatively short and easy ride that passes the Columbia Icefields, and has some pretty serious climbing in it.

Cold
Pulling out of the campsite I merged with a group of 5 other cyclists, all heading north.
I got chatting to them and was soon in the group, spinning along at a good pace.
They were riding from Lake Louise to Jasper and back, over a week.

I was glad to have met them as they pulled me through some pretty tough climbs and gradients today, stuff I would have struggled with on my own.
It's quite nice having a wheel to follow...

We stopped at the Weeping Wall, the Big Bend, and at the top of the Parker Ridge, but only after a brutal 10% climb that had me off my bike and walking! Ouch.

I couldn't find a rhythm and could hardly hang onto the wheel in front of me.

We stopped at the Icefields for lunch and a warm up. I seem to be a hit with the Asian tourists here as I had a few photos taken with them. Seeing a cyclist here must seem like a novelty to them. Lunch was poutine, a burger and a Pepsi and it soon had me fuelled up and ready to go. The campsite was just down the hill but first we had to pass the sight that is the Glacier Skywalk (Google it)!

Just perfect
The crew I was riding with, from Saskatchewan, were staying at the Beauty Creek HI hostel, and invited me in for a cup of tea. Seeing as it was only 6km from my original campsite, I decided to stay the night there.

The afternoon was sunny so a quick dip in the river soon had me feeling fresh, it was glacier melt water after all, followed by a snooze in the hammock!

Raised a plastic 'glass' of wine to my dad for his birthday...Happy Birthday dad!

Early to bed, in a real bed, and quickly asleep.

Distance: 55.9 km
Time: 3:31:48

Height gained/lost: 890m /-750m
Calories: 2027

Columbia Icefields
The crew from Saskatchewan




1 comment :

  1. Great day, Kev. Interesting to see how many other cyclists are out there.

    ReplyDelete