Monday 5 June 2017

Day 3: Hope to Manning Park

I am glad I took yesterday off.

Today I feel 100% better and woke early, just in time to see Annie wheeling her bike out of the campsite.
Blue sky, no wind and cool air, today would be a good day on the bike.

Camp struck and my bike packed, I wheeled out just after Annie, and was soon spinning along the Crowsnest Highway, Highway 3.
I had looked at the route profile the night before and knew it was going to kick up shortly, but it sort of rose gently, throwing in some altitude at every big turn in the road.

Then the sun came out from behind the mountain. Crikey!
Who turned the heating up?
Hope Slide
I was roasting with sweat dripping from everywhere. I pulled in at the next pullout and stripped down, jacket off and cycling top zip down.

Must. Get. Cool.

Before long I reached the Hope Slide, a massive landslide that happened in January 1965, resulting in the highway being wiped out and having to be rebuilt, 55m above its original location.
The scarring is amazing, and the debris field immense.

As I pulled into Hope Slide, I passed two cycle tourers coming out, heading towards Manning Park. I waved and they went on their way.

After the Slide, it was a beautiful downhill cruise to Sunshine valley, where I filled up my already depleted water bottles!
I was inhaling water like air, and it wasn't quenching my thirst, what's going on?

This was my first true look at what Canadian mountains and forests and streams look like. Winding rivers alongside the road, dense forest and a beautiful valley to cycle down.
But this all soon fell away as the road kicked up. In style.

I got the little gear spinning and managed to get about a third of the way up the climb before a gravel-filled shoulder and speeding trucks forced me to walk.
Reaching the top, I saw the same 2 cyclists I had seen at Hope Slide, bikes perched on stands and them inhaling some big ones.
I introduced myself to them. They were Jane and Dennis Henderson, from PEI. Their blog is Splitcrow.ca. They are cycling from Vancouver to PEI.
I stayed and chatted with them for a bit before heading off up the hill.
Still smiling (pre mind games)

Not 5 minutes later the hunger pangs started again. Hmmm, time to find some shade and grab a feed.
Peanut butter and bread was the dish of the day, and it was delicious. I highly recommend it. Jane and Dennis stopped in the shade with me and had a bite too.
Three or four sarmies later, and a long drink of water, we were off again. Uphill.

Notice the trend?

The day got hotter, the road wider and steeper, and the breeze less and less help. The mind games started.
Brain: "Should I get off and walk?"
Kevin: No, cycling is twice as fast as walking.
Brain: "But your legs hurt and you're tired."
Kevin: OK, but just for a bit.

Kevin gets off and walks for a bit.

Even the shade had gone to find shade! It was boiling and we were suffering. I had to keep remembering to look around and take in the sights and sounds.
It was beautiful; snow-capped peaks, fluffy white clouds in a blue sky, and a searing sun.

Just as I thought I couldn't even push my bike anymore, a little sign  appeared on the side of the road.
Allison Pass Summit,  it said, Elevation 1342m.

Is this a very elaborate joke? Was this the top?
Oh my!

Energy came flooding back into my legs, from where I don't know, but I could pedal again.
The road tipped downhill and soon I was cruising. Cruising is a relative term in cycle touring.
The cruising I was doing was maybe 20-22km/h, but after going at 6-8km/h uphill, I was flying!
I even had the time to spot a bear at the summit.

The hostel
Manning Park resort soon appeared on the right, I pulled in and promptly booked a room in the hostel.
It was perfect. Again.
Showers and a bed. And I was the only one in. Bliss
What a simple fellow I am...

Dinner was the biggest burger I have ever eaten, and after dinner I had a long chat with Dennis, about the joys of the day.

I think we all slept well that night...

Manning Park, BC. What a climb!

Distance: 70 km
Time: 4:33:03
Height gained/lost: 1731m /-649m

Calories: 3057






2 comments :

  1. Love the detail of the ride, and the self talk. It was quite the pull but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin - My heart is pumping with excitement. It's like I'm there on a bike with you. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete