Tuesday 6 June 2017

Day 4: Manning Park to Princeton

With the climb behind me, today was a drop down into Princeton.
Manning Park gate
The day dawned very cool, but clear and wind free, so set out reasonably early.

Jane and Dennis were out before me, so I made it my daily challenge to see how quickly I could catch them.
They were making good ground today and it took until Mine Hill to catch them, They were stopped at a truck brake check area.

Beautiful
After the initial descent from Manning Park resort, through winding valleys and passes, the road soon kicked up again. The pass was being resurfaced, so a stop/go system was in place. The kind marshals let me go through on a "stop", giving me complete access to the road. I got to pick my line and was soon hurtling down the pass, only to see the severity of the climb out on the other side!

A quick change of gears later and I was soon spinning my way out.

This happened a few times, but before long I had reached the Sunday summit, altitude 1282m. 
By now the sun was beating down, 26C. 
Sweltering.

That was it, the top. Downhill to Princeton. 

I met Jane and Dennis and Annie in the Info centre in town, and found my way to the campsite, which was perfect.
Set right on the river, which was freezing and perfect for chilling beers, only a few sites were offered, and I had the pick of them.
Tent up, a quick dip in the river to soothe the muscles, then kick back and watch the river flow by, beer in hand.

A good day to be riding.

Distance: 68 km
Time: 3:24:52
Height gained/lost: 683m /-1283m

Calories: 2264
Camp for the night - Princeton

1 comment :