Sunday 11 June 2017

Day 9: Sicamous to Revelstoke

The Highway is Open.

Jane and Dennis left early this morning as it was to be a long day in the saddle.
I decided to stay in bed a little  longer, and eventually left an hour and forty-five minutes later.

The day was cool to start with, which made for ideal cycling conditions. My legs are feeling a little better today, but my new saddle is still giving me issues. I can tolerate the discomfort if I pedal out of the saddle for a few minutes every now and again. 
D Dutchmen - good icecream
It won't stop me!

I visited the Last Spike, the site where the railway line from the East met the line coming from the West. This was where the last pin was placed, connecting the line and opening the region up for travel.

I caught Jane and Dennis within 40km of Sicamous; they were waiting at a waterfall for me. 
Jane told me I was late. I apologised, and we continued on to Revelstoke together.

Dennis at the washout
Once again, the scenery changes with every turn in the road. Dead flat lakes with amazing reflections, waterfalls cascading down cliff faces, and the river meandering alongside the road.

We eventually passed the area where the washout had occurred. Piles of debris lay next to the road, dead trees and boulders that had been pulled down the mountain. The road clearing crew had done an amazing job in getting the road reopened.

Shortly after the cleared washout I saw another cyclist appear on the road ahead of me, heading in the same direction.
As I got closer I started looking at the gear on the bike. He was carrying a very strange assortment of crates and 2L drinking bottles, all seemingly held on with cable ties, but no camping gear as such, apart from a bed mat.
Striped socks that reached up to his knees and a floppy hat taped to his helmet, he certainly came across as a strange fellow. I stopped and had a chat with him.
His name is Russel and is from Melbourne. He has pretty much cycled the entire world, apart from Africa, and was doing Canada this summer. With what possessions?

Reflections
We parted ways and he rolled off down the road, the plastic sign on the back of his bike telling all to 'KEEP CLEAR' getting smaller and smaller.

The traffic was getting heavier and I was grateful to roll across the Columbia river bridge into Revelstoke. The clouds had cleared and the sun was out. A perfect time for lunch.
And an end to the day's ride.

After lunch Jane and Dennis zoomed off to their Inn and I went in search of a sim card for my phone.
I was going to camp but it was miles out of town, so headed back into town and checked into the local Samesun hostel for 2 nights. I got a 50% discount as the hostel was under construction (not that I noticed).
Tomorrow is a rest day. 

I met an extended family member (Chris Rubens) for a beer and a chat later that evening, after having been invited to Jane and Dennis' Inn for a BBQ. Delicious!
Jane and Dennis and I parted ways today. Tomorrow they would head to Golden and eventually Canmore, while I stayed here.
I hope to see them again in PEI.

And so ends another great, and interesting, day on the bike.
Distance: 89.2 km
Time: 4:27:55

Height gained/lost: 628m /-562m

Calories: 2775

Revelstoke road and railway bridges





1 comment :

  1. An interesting day indeed. Love the description of the Aussie cyclist

    ReplyDelete