Friday 2 June 2017

Wet in Stanley Park

Today Shirley, my Surly, got a bit wet in Stanley Park.

I've been staying in Burnaby, outside of Downtown Vancouver, with the Thomas's, friends from back in Cape Town.

Grow boxes
From being collected at the airport in the pouring rain to building grow-boxes in the back yard, it has been a blast being back in 'Van', and many thanks go to Victor and Candice, my hosts for the past 3 days, for making it happen.

Today was the day I had decided to set out, to begin cycling from Vancouver to the east coast. Once the panniers were finally packed and loaded, it was a nice downhill cruise into Downtown, and into Stanley Park.

SA kit
I had selected on the most western beaches in Stanley Park to get water for Shirley's wheels, and while waiting for a lull in the traffic, got talking to a number of people who were interested in my plans.
Many were envious but all wished me the best of luck.

I grabbed a bottle from my bike, filled it from the sea, dashed back to the bike and poured the water over her back wheel.

The journey was now underway!

Totem poles
I sat back on the bench and absorbed my surroundings, taking in the sounds and smells and thinking about what the next few months are going to contain, then, once done, cycled a lap of the Park.

The route back to Victor is rolling, and a gentle climb, getting steeper at the end. Powering up one of the climbs, I looked up and saw a group of people standing in the road, waving purple pompoms and cheering. At me!
What the..?

It is National Bike Week here and they were promoting cycling and commuting in the local area. When they saw me coming past, they stopped me, gave me orange slices and wanted to know what my plans were. I told them I was riding across the country. Many had done the same, and others had done parts, but all were keen to join me. So friendly and genuine.

If this is the way life is going to be for the next few months, it is going to be amazing!

Tomorrow I ride to Hope.

A wet wheel. A journey begun.


3 comments :

  1. Hi Following your post now. Annie Regner, my blog is acrosscanadaadventures.wordpress.com or on Facebook Across Canada Adventures
    Good travels out there, the road out of Osoyoos is very challenging take extra water, I had 3 bottles & ran out. But I did it in the heat of the day. I'll keep in touch😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you had a hot ride out of Osoyoos, we had a warm day Princeton to Keremeos, and I then tagged on another 40K and went to Princeton. 130k day!
      Ill take a look at your FB and Wordpress sites...
      Enjoy the rest of your travels - be safe...

      Delete
  2. How cool that you were cheered by the crowds😀

    ReplyDelete