Sunday 2 July 2017

Day 32: Canmore to Calgary

Time to leave Canmore and see what Calgary has to offer.

It was going to be hot today - 27C, so tried to leave Canmore early.

Saying goodbye to Wilma and thanking her for the amazing walks and hospitality, I whizzed downhill out of Canmore and was soon approaching the Exshaw mines. This mine has left quite a scar on the hillside outside of town.

The big mountains I had grown so used to started to fall away and were being replaced by rolling hills. At least I still had the Bow river to keep me company.
I stopped at an historic church that was recently burnt down in an act of arson and got covered in flies! I am not sure where they came from but they were persistent to say the least, and very annoying!

I stopped in Cochrane for lunch at Tim's. Pizza today, mmm.
Leaving my lunchstop I saw a long queue of people winding across the pavement, across a pedestrian crossing, and continuing on the other side of the street!

What was it for?
Ice cream.

I found out later on that this was a very well known place, MacKay's. I didn't stop and try it as the queue was way too long.

The rest of the ride into Calgary on the 1A was pretty uneventful, and soon I had arrived in Tuscany, outer Calgary. I would be staying at old family friends for a few days, taking in the Stampede while here.

Distance: 95.5 km
Time: 3:59:45
Height gained/lost: 596m /-796m
Calories: 3195

First sight of Calgary

1 comment :