Saturday 22 July 2017

Day 52: Grenfell to Moosomin

Thankfully there was no more drama in the night. I was woken early this morning as people left camp.
Who leaves camp at 5am anyway?!

Fields of Gold
I took a slow ride through Grenfell, which is tiny, and then latched onto an awesome tailwind that whisked me through quaint little towns, fields of Canola and wheat, and interesting countryside.

I have seen countless hawks or harriers that are being chased by smaller birds, some of the aerobatic maneuvers they perform are just remarkable!
I even got waved at by a train driver. What a day this was turning out to be!

I stopped in Broadview for a boiled egg, which I carry with me. That's enough fuel for another 30km or so. Next stop was Whitewood, where I grabbed an early lunch, or very late second breakfast, I am undecided. While parking my bike, a local pulled up in his van and gave me a few drinks vouchers for Tim Horton's!
Ace!
The locals name was George Chopping, and he ran a museum just outside of town. He has built it all himself over the past few decades, and has been interviewed by National Geographic, amongst other publications.
Warmshowers

Moosomin grain elevator
Tonight I am using Warmshowers for the first time, a website for cyclists to host other cyclists.
I arrived in Moosomin a lot earlier than expected, due to the tailwind, and went to the house to meet Harvey.
He showed me the house, and my room, which was ideal. I dumped my bags and showered, then promptly fell asleep on the bed for 2.5 hours. That never happens to me, but I wasn't complaining, it felt very good.
I went to the Red Barn for dinner, met another cyclist there, and watched the CFL game between Saskatchewan and Calgary. Mid-game the power went out, so I left and went home where I met Blanche, Harvey's wife. I was then served Saskatoon berries and cream, which was delicious!

Blanche and Harvey told me that the storm the previous evening had produced a tornado nearby, and showed me the video (Youtube video) that the storm chasers had taken.
Scary stuff!

Distance: 101.2 km
Time: 3:36:40

Height gained/lost: 155m /-153m

Calories: 3406
 

1 comment :