Thursday 27 July 2017

Day 57: Falcon Lake to Kenora

Kind. Humankind.

I woke up this morning and found a little parcel on my camping table.
Two muffins - choc chip, a chocolate cookie and a square of cake, iced with chocolate icing.
And fifteen dollars!

How uncalled for and extremely generous.

Today was going to be hot, and I would be dipping into Ontario, the start of the lakes and the hills. The scenery did not disappoint. Lakes around every corner, all named, have little houses dotted along their shorelines, watercraft moored alongside jetties.

How peaceful.

The trucks all seem to be carrying oversized cargo, from houses to boats to massive construction equipment.

I stopped at the Chip Truck for an early lunch.
I had seen the Truck advertised the previous day, so was glad to finally find it.
I rolled in and was told that I had made good time to here. I looked up and saw a couple looking at me, they had commented.
I got chatting with them and told them I was from SA. They has always wanted to visit Cape Town, so we ordered chips and chatted about South Africa, and Cape Town, for ages. They eventually left, and wished me luck for the rest of the journey. They'd call when they arrive in Cape Town!

I had a quick swim on arrival in Kenora, the water once again refreshing.
Husky the Muskie, a 12m high sculpture of a muskellunge fish appeared on my right as I rolled into town. It is there as a symbol for the prevention of water pollution. It is one of the 'big things' I wanted to see on this trip.

 The campsite had its own little beach as well, so had another swim once I had checked in and setup camp.

The air temperature doesn't drop until late in the evening, or early morning, so it was going to be another hot night. Joy.

Distance: 72.7 km
Time: 3:39:33

Height gained/lost: 582m /-575m

Calories: 2237


1 comment :