Monday 31 July 2017

Day 61: Ignace to Upsala

Left at 0825. The high cloud was keeping things quite cool this morning, which made a change from the boiling days we have been having here.
But, today is supposed to be hotter than yesterday!

I had rolling hills and forest initially, but then it flattened out and the forests opened up, must be a result of logging.
I saw a mother bear and cub run across the road in front of me, but were gone by the time I arrived at the spot that they vanished into the woods.

I am having to manage my water on the bike quite carefully today as the next water point is 58km up the road, at English River.
As I arrived at the Inn, the only building in town, the manager immediately directed me to the tap without me saying a word!

The horseflies are still with me, I am now considering naming them. Ideas please.
It doesn't help having them with me as the road shoulder has narrowed substantially now and must only be 60cm wide! Thankfully the drivers are very good and pass with plenty of room to spare.
Some of the oversize-load trucks that pass me overhang the shoulder of the road completely!

I lost another hour today going across the country, and got into Upsala at around 3pm.
I had a lovely afternoon rest in my tent and then went to the Shell garage/restaurant for an early dinner.
Another beach, another swim, another quiet campsite. Not.
The railway line was there, but I think my ears are now tuning out the noise of the train.
Distance: 107 km
Time: 4:51:33
Height gained/lost: 446m /-415m

Calories: 3200


1 comment :