Friday 4 August 2017

Day 65: Nipigon to Terrace Bay

Upon unzipping the tent this morning I was presented with a cloudy and overcast outlook, cool but dry, even after the little bit of rain that fell in the night.

I had slept well and my legs felt a little better, but were still feeling the effects of the other day. I rolled over the new suspension bridge that is being built outside town and then proceeded to spin up the hills. Views of the lake were frequent as the road wound along the shore.
The route profile for today showed two big(-ish) climbs, and they arrived just after Gravel River, where I stopped for a Coke and chat.
The beauty of these climbs is in the gradient; one can select a nice gear and just spin up them, albeit slowly. Yes, the sweat runs like a river, but the descents on the other side are worth it!

Schreiber was the next stop, a small railway town situated on the lake shore. Once again, it was a tiny town with a few motels and a Railway museum. I stopped at the museum and had a chat with Luke, the boy at the desk. He said not to stay in town, but to head to Terrace Bay where there was Drag Racing happening all weekend. He would be there right now if it wasn't for work!
So I headed to Terrace Bay, 14km away.

On the way, I stopped at the Aguasabon Falls and Gorge. It's a beautiful spot and the view is stunning.

In town, I was told I could camp at the beach as there was no campsite in town. I cycled down to the beach to take a look, and it was not ideal. No toilets or running water, no firm patch of earth on which to pitch a tent and no shelter from the wind.
I headed back up to town and took a sneaky look around the school yard. The gate was open and there were no signs saying 'No Camping'. The field was hidden from the road and had good shelter from the wind, and was over the road from the community recreation centre, which had showers.

I had a long dinner in town and then wheeled my bike into the school yard, setting up my tent behind a few benches. I was quite hidden and didn't think I would be bothered at all during the night.

I went to bed feeling clean and fed and content.

Distance: 114 km
Time: 5:59:39
Height gained/lost: 1280m /-1232m

Calories: 3869

No comments :

Post a Comment