Saturday 12 August 2017

Day 73: Sault Ste. Marie to Bruce Mines

A quick photo session, some hugs and the final goodbyes, I set off on my own today, leaving Matt, Amy and Stephen to spend another day at Velorution.

The weather as perfect; a nice tailwind with some high cloud. I followed Highway 17B to Echo Bay where I saw the Big Loonie. I was then told to take Government Road, which winds through farms and country lanes, avoiding the main highway.
I cycled past Desbarats at lunchtime, then thought that I may need supplies for lunch, so circled back and stopped in town.
The cashier at the local general store said that I should pop into the farmers market at the local arena.
I parked the bike and browsed the stalls. Honey brittle, preserves, maple syrup, fresh vegetables and items of clothing and jewellery adorned the various shelves.

I met Minna, who runs a stall for Blue Mar 4 Change, and got chatting with her. She invited me for a swim at her house on Lake Huron, if I wanted it. As it was a toasty day, I thought a swim was a great idea, so set about heading for the lake.
Sticking to the Government Road, I passed a herd of bison, saw Mennonite farms in action, and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the country roads.

I arrived at Minna's house and was instantly made to feel at home. While I was having a refreshing swim in the lake, Minna's daughter and father went fishing. They came back a little while later with 2 Northern Pike, which I then learnt how to fillet.
The swim was followed by a beer and snacks, and then a fire was started. Fresh fish needs to be eaten! While the fire was being prepared, we sat in the sauna and chatted about my trip, and life in general. More drinks and snacks followed, and Minna said that I was spending the night. "OK", I said.

Tonight was the peak night of the Perseids meteor shower, so after dinner Minna and I sat on the jetty and watched the meteors streak overhead.

What an unexpected day on the bike. If I hadn't turned in at lunchtime I would not have met this amazing family, learnt how to fillet a Pike, seen the meteors or swum in the lake.

I love the unplanned nature of this journey I am on, and meeting the amazing people that are Canadians.

Distance: 77.4 km
Time: 3:49:24
Height gained/lost: 485m /-590m

Calories: 2378

1 comment :