Wednesday 23 August 2017

Day 84: Scarborough to Cobourg

Malcolm was up early this morning to see me off. I was on the road by 0830, and stayed on the highway until Newcastle. The roads, so far, had been good, so I hoped they continued.

Lakeshore Drive runs for kilometres along the lake shore, and is very peaceful and scenic. Crops, apple orchards and corn fields, as well as the default railway line, keep me company all day.

I stopped for lunch in Newcastle. I found a bench in the shade, on the shores of Lake Ontario, and watched the waves crash against the rocks as I ate my (still appealing) peanut butter sandwiches.

Afternoon tea was had, by accident, in Port Hope.
I had seen a sign on the road earlier in the day mentioning Krazy Kookies in Port Hope, but had thought nothing of it.
When I rode through town, and was just about exiting it, I remembered the Kookies, so turned back to find the Dream Cafe which sold them.

The cookies are made as follows.
Chocolate chip cookies are made as normal, then sprinkled with diced Pecan nuts and baked.
Once out, a spoonful of caramel is placed in the centre and then chocolate is drizzled over the top.
These cookies are amazing and certainly live up to their name. Krazy Kookies indeed!

The terrain was mostly flat today, with a light tailwind. Last night I had identified a few campsites on the route, so was able to choose which I wanted. The last site of the day came at Cobourg, and coincided with me wanting to stop.

Cobourg East Campsite has a pool, nice hot showers and great pitches for tents, so I quickly used all 3 and was soon feeling good.
A little rain shower came by and said hello to me, but didn't stick around long enough to cause any issues.

It was another long day on the bike, but once again very enjoyable and very beautiful.

Distance: 105 km
Time: 4:46:23
Height gained/lost: 859m /-872m

Calories: 3445

1 comment :