Tuesday 29 August 2017

Day 90: South Mountain to Lancaster

Flat!

Not my tyres but the terrain....all along the St Lawrence River today.

I said goodbye and thank you to the Taylors and headed back down to the river, turning left towards Montreal. I was on a bike path for most of today, which was amazing and filled with historical markers. Lots of action in Canadian history took place on this stretch of the river, mostly involving the Americans.

I stopped for lunch at the Upper Canadian Village, and met Stefan, a missionary who had worked, and biked, in Africa, and knew South Africa well. We chatted for a while about my trip, and he relived moments of his trip, before he had to leave and meet up with his family.

I ate a lot of flies today. Not intentionally.
In the shade of the trees along the bike path, swarms of flies hover in the cool air. As I was riding through, I would become covered in the little flies, and more that one would get into my mouth. Lots of spitting quickly followed in an attempt to get the critter out before I swallowed it.

I arrived in Lancaster as the sun was starting to set, and checked into the campsite. This campsite charged me $10 because I was a CYCLIST!
They understood the needs of cyclists and charged a reduced rate. Finally, someone understands! Now tell the rest of the country.

As I was setting up my tent, another cyclist rode past and stopped to chat. It turned out to be Daryl. I had last seen him in MacGregor in Manitoba, way back in July!

Once the sun set, the mozzies and spiders came out, so I went to bed.
My site tonight is in the front 'yard' of an RV that is used as an overflow site for cyclists. Perfect for my needs.

Distance: 115 km
Time: 5:33:58
Height gained/lost: 412m /-445m

Calories: 3335

1 comment :

  1. It's incredible to see how many calories you burn off. You must need to eat like a horse.

    ReplyDelete