Monday 28 August 2017

Days 88-89: South Mountain/Ottawa (Rest days)

August 27

Breakfast at the local golf club, Sandy Row, consisted of pancakes, bacon, tea, and more toast than I could handle. Maple syrup also made a brief appearance on the table.
After breakfast, Becca and I walked through the bustling 'downtown' that is South Mountain. To say it was quiet is an understatement.

Once home, we packed bags for a day at Amber, Becca's sister. Swimming gear and a few drinks and snacks, and we were on our way.
I spent ages in the pool, ate good food and am feeling very relaxed off the bike.

Back at Becca's, I swapped my tyres front to back. I hadn't realised how worn my rear tyre was, and how 'new' my front was.
Hopefully this new arrangement will get me to Halifax.

August 28

We're heading in Ottawa today. Whoop!
Beccca drove us into town and showed me all the sights, including her old uni. It's amazing so see these places in real life after seeing them so often in pictures. Becca and Richard (DDD) will be living in Ottawa, so Becca showed me the areas where they are looking for houses.

While walking through town, I saw a familiar sight. Touring bikes being walked down a side-street. It just so happened to be Matt, Amy, and Stephen who I had last seen in Sault Ste. Marie a few weeks back. I ran over to them and said HI, and was introduced to Jenna and Jenny, two other cyclists they had picked up on their travels.

We parted ways, and grabbed lunch at the Clocktower, then browsed the markets and downtown, taking in the sights of Parliament, the locks and then on to Gatineau, for a scenic drive and a swim in the lake.
It's beautiful up here!
We drove back home and made it just in time for dinner. An early night for me tonight, I am exhausted.

Many thanks again to the Taylor family for hosting me and showing me the sights and sounds of South Mountain and surrounds.


2 comments :