Friday 15 September 2017

Day 108: Millville to Fredericton

Jazz baby!

Fact: Millville is home to the world's largest maple leaf.

The bike abuse continued today, except there was treasure on the trail to keep our minds and bodies focused. Riding on the rail trail meant that there were rail spikes, the pins used to keep the rail in place, scattered on the path. The railway was covered in the late 50's and the constant traffic on it is exposing the underlying treasures. Aaron and I each collected a few pins as mementos. (Little did we know that these would come in handy later.)

About 25km down the path I realised I had left one of my water bottles on the sink at Andrew's house. "Bother" said Kevin. Oh well, another bottle will need to be purchased.

Thankfully the trail was mostly downhill today, but my tired legs and the sandy and rocky trail surface made it as tiresome as a 100km road ride.
We cycled the last 15km into Fredericton on the cycle path, then stopped at Picaroons brewery for a well earned local pint.
While enjoying this pint, my phone buzzed. It was Andrew.

Andrew: "Where are you?"
Kevin: "In Picaroon's."
Andrew: "Stay there, Tiffany is on her way to you with your water bottle."
Kevin: "....."

Tiffany, Andrew's wife, was coming in Fredericton, and had brought my water bottle with her, and hand delivered it to me in the pub. What service!
I thanked her, and just like that, she was gone. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face, what good fortune to have my bottle back...

We left Picaroons, cycled over the river and had lunch at the Snooty Fox, the bar staff insisting we park our loaded bikes inside the bar! We had a cruisy afternoon listening to the music from the Harvester Jazz Festival, while we supped local beers from a few establishments.

Once the sun had set and darkness had set in, we headed out to Odell Park and pitched our tents just off the main path. Hopefully nobody minds.

Distance: 64.7 km
Time: 3:42:31
Height gained/lost: 608m /-752m

Calories: 1998

1 comment :