Saturday 2 September 2017

Day 94: Montreal to Boucherville

Before leaving town this morning I took a (slow) bike ride through the Old Town again, stopping to see the Notre-Dame Basilica and the cobbled streets. While stopped I met a fellow South African who had seen the flag on my bike and came over for a chat.

I crossed over the river via the highest bridge I have ever cycled over. Needless to say I kept my eyes firmly on the path. It was quite a hairy ride.
Once over the bridge, I met Jean-Francois, a cyclist going to the same town as me. I was stopped at the side of the path, eating a muffin, when he arrived.

JF: "Are you lost?"
Me: "No, I am eating a muffin."
JF: "Oh, OK."

(When I told this story to Matt he cried with laughter for a long time)

JF worked for La Route Verte (the Green Route cycle path that runs through Quebec), and was on his way to be at the opening of a new section of the cycle path. He was great to talk to as we wound our way through the backstreets and pathways around suburban Montreal, and when we parted offered me his cabin to stay in a few days down the road.
Once again the generosity is overwhelming.

I made it to Boucherville and met Matt, Amy and Stephen, along with the family they were staying with. They had met back in White River and offered them accommodation, so extended the offer to me. We were put in the RV parked in the driveway, which beat a tent hands down.

Cycling gear was swapped for swimming gear, and Matt and I were soon in the pool, listening to tunes and tempting Gustav, the dog, to get in.

A brisket was being prepared for dinner, and the hours it took to prepare it were well worth it.
It was delicious!
Yet another item gets added to the list of things I need to cook when I end this trip.

Distance: 28.6 km
Time: 1:41:52
Height gained/lost: 359m /-447m

Calories: 955

Jean-Francois and I in Bouchervillt

1 comment :